Monday 6 April 2020

A Message To All Students And Parents

Good morning,

I hope that everyone is well.  I thought it would be helpful to give you an update regarding what "Continuity of Learning" means and course expectations moving forward.  This week will focus on defining our new normal - creating systems and structures.  I ask that you remain patient as we all learn to adapt to the new education delivery model.

Remember that as of now this blog/website will be my only platform to deliver content to students.  All students will be aware of their first assignment by April 10th.  Moving forward I will strive to have supplementary subject resources on my website based on the following weekly schedule:

Monday - Message to all students
Tuesday - Social Studies 10
Wednesday- Genocide Studies
Thursday - History 12
Friday - Active Living

If you know of any of your friends who are not in the 'loop" regarding my website, please let them know that information for my classes will be located here.  Also, please take a moment to reach out to me via email to check in.  I'm curious to see what type of engagement I am going to get and it will be nice to say hi...

All students in my Social Studies classes will be working on inquiry based unit assignments that will focus on the "Big Ideas",  key concepts and content related to specific courses.  Details for the first assignment will be provided to all students by April 10th, but here are some examples of the essential questions that will be explored in my classes:

SS10 -  World War Two was described as a "Total War".  Assess how WW2 and the current pandemic
relate to the concept of total war.

Genocide Studies -   Students will explore the Nuremberg Trials and be asked to reflect on what justice looks like after a genocide?

History 12 - After WW2 the world would experience a wide range of international cooperation.  To what extent did the international community effectively cooperated after the Second World War?  You should make reference to the current global pandemic.

Stay tuned for more details in regards to these essential questions.

Active Living - Your assignment will be to work out!!  You will be asked to complete a work-out/self assessment journal. 

Please note that if you have a "Passion Project" that interests you and fits the Big Ideas connected to your course, I am more than open to considering alternate assignments.  If it keeps you engaged in your own learning, go for it!  My ask is that you run the assignment by me first.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Take care,


No comments:

Post a Comment